Built around 3500BC, Maen Y Bardd Burial Chamber stands high in the hills above the Conwy valley in North Wales. The southern slopes of Tal Y Fan mountain have many standing stones and monoliths scattered around but Maen Y Bardd is the standout example, a truly charming neolithic site.
Around 1.2m in height, the large capstone of this portal dolman is supported by four upright stones. Maen Y Bardd faces south east and it’s lofty position means it is a wonderful location at sunrise, although the imposing Carneddau mountains mean it loses the setting sunshine a little early. It’s thought this type of burial chamber would’ve once been covered in earth or stone, although the amount of scattered landscaping rocks favours the latter.
The Celtic name Maen y Bardd translates as “The Bard’s Stone” and legend has it that those brave enough to spend a night inside the chamber wake either as a poet or a madman!
Buy Stone Monoliths
We individually select every stone monolith ornament and water feature by hand, curating the most bespoke selection of landscaping rocks available in the UK. These beautiful pieces echo the heritage of standing stones in Wales and enhance garden designs and landscaping projects all over the UK.
- Four Seasons Monolith Water Feature£2,495.00
- Slate Monolith SM167 Water Feature£595.00
- Stone Monolith SM151 Water Feature£525.00
- Slate Monolith SM138 Standing Stone£875.00
- Slate Monolith SM163 Water Feature£645.00
- Slate Monolith SM162 Water Feature£695.00
- Stone Monolith SM168 Water Feature£295.00
- Stone Monolith SM141 Water FeatureProduct on sale
- Slate Monolith SM161 Water Feature£595.00
- Stone Monolith SM57 Standing Stone£275.00
- Slate Monolith SM90 Standing Stone£495.00
- Stone Monolith SM150 Water Feature£485.00
- Stone Monolith SM159 Water Features£595.00
- Slate Monolith SM121 Water Feature£495.00
- Stone Monolith SM154 Water Feature£555.00
- Slate Monolith SM130 Standing Stone£475.00